Happy 23rd Anniversary!
Council #12531 in Boise, Idaho (St. Mary’s Parish) was founded on Thursday, August 12, 1999.
It was erected by Bishop Edward Kelly in 1937 as Boise’s second Catholic parish; the city’s Catholic population had grown too large to be served solely by the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. Its North End location was criticized at the time for being too far from the city center. A Catholic school, St. Mary’s School, was established in 1948.
The historic Gothic church building, located at State and 26th Streets, was designed by Frank Hummel of Tourtellotte & Hummel. It was significantly enlarged in 2009 with a design by ZGA Architects and Planners intended to respect the original structure, which won the Idaho Historic Preservation Council’s Orchid Award for cultural heritage preservation. The renovated building combines Gothic and neo-classical styles with some modern elements.
|Pope||Pope John Paul, II|
|Super Bowl XVIII||Los Angeles Raiders|
|World Series (81st)||Detroit Tigers|
|Stanley Cup (92nd)||Edmonton Oilers|
|NCAA Football||Brigham Young|
|Best Picture||Terms of Endearment|
|#1 Song||When Doves Cry (Prince)|
|Federal Spending||$851.8 billion – $6.82 trillion (2021)|
|Gallon of Gas||$1.13|
|1984 Buick Skyhawk||$7,649|
|1st Class Stamp||$0.20|
|Eggs||$1.15 / dozen|
What Happened in 1999
- The world awaits the consequences of the Y2K bug, with more drastic millennial theorists warning of Armageddon.
- January 7 – US Senate opens impeachment trial of President Clinton
- January 10 – ‘The Sopranos’ debuts on HBO
- April 20 – Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, storm Columbine High School in Littleton , CO, killing twelve other students and a teacher, then themselves.
- July 10 – U.S. soccer player Brandi Chastain scores the game winning penalty kick against China in the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- July 16 – John F. Kennedy Jr., wife Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, and her sister Lauren G. Bessette are lost at sea when a plane he was piloting disappears near Martha’s Vineyard, off the Massachusetts coast.
- October 9 – The last flight of the SR-71.
- December 31 – The U.S. turns over complete administration of the Panama Canal to the Panamanian government, as stipulated in the Torrijos–Carter Treaties of 1977.